laugh out loud: The Dead Boyfriends Club

laugh out loud

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Dead Boyfriends Club

Since we have established that a certain early-American author is not on the list for admittance into the Dead Boyfriends Club, let's talk about who made the cut and what it means to be in the club, shall we?

See, there are certain "hotties in history©" (yeah, I copyrighted that phrase so back off) that have won a place in my heart. And since they are dead, I am free to call them my boyfriends since they won't really be able to complain too much one way or the other....though I suppose they could haunt me till I stopped calling them my boyfriends but since none of them have done that, I assume they are all a-okay with making the list. And really, why shouldn't they be? After all, there's enough of me (and my bosoms) to go around.

So here's the list.

Geoffrey Chaucer - This strapping young buck had me at "Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote..."

I met Geoff (yeah, I'm totally allowed to call him that - he likes it) in my junior year of college. Having decided that Old English was a bit too much like learning German, and not being very fond of lederhosen, I switched tracks and moved into studying Middle English, which is kind of like reading garbled French intermixed with very badly misspelled English. And since all the people who spoke Middle English are dead, it's kinda a crap shoot as to how to pronounce anything....just enough chaos to make it fun.

Anyway, I fell hard for Chaucer and the flame still burns bright...nothing puts me in the mood better than a few pages of Canterbury Tales (in it's Middle English form, of course - translations are for wussys). If you think I'm kidding, just try reading me a few lines of the General Prologue in Middle English and see what happens...trust me, you won't be complaining (but you may need a cigarette or 10....)

Thomas Jefferson - Nothing like a little "jungle fever" to get me all hot and bothered....

But seriously, have you people checked out the nickel lately? Jefferson was H-O-T! And he designed his own very rad house, wrote some important documents early on in the country's founding....The Declaration of Independence, you may have heard of it? Yeah, he's so on the list. He's one dead president that I am all about supporting....or just making out with, whatever...

Nick Drake - Oh how I love tragic romantics.

Nick Drake was this singer, songwriter in the 70s, right. And he killed himself for some tragic reason...depression or something of the like. And really, I've seen pictures of him...he ain't the most handsome man to ever walk in or out of my life....but his songs....oh, he gets right into the club just due to the music. His songs are like crack for me...cannot get enough.

And finally, Chris Farley. Yeah, you heard me.

Anyone that can make me laugh as hard and as often as Chris Farley is okay by me. More than okay, actually. And yes, Mr. Farley was a bit rotund...maybe not the most handsome man ever....but I would be too busy laughing at him to care about the fact that if we ever shared a bed, he could crush me in my sleep. His defining moment? The SNL skit he did with Patrick Swayzee where they auditioned for Chippendales....classic...I still giggle about that to this day....

So that's the club...it's a small group - admittance ain't easy. But it's worth it. Trust me, totally worth it....

7 Comments:

  • You know what? I am SO there with you on the Chris Farley thing! I always loved him and then I watched his True Hollywood Story and the theme was basically, "He self-medicated, ate, and hired hookers because he desperately wanted to be loved and I remember thinking, "I would have loved you! I DID love you! Fat, hair and all!" **sigh** Tragic.

    By Blogger TOWR, at 9:02 PM  

  • I tend to agree with the Chris Farley thing as well. He was an excellent comedian.

    By Blogger Beth Blair, at 1:56 AM  

  • I still miss Chris. :(

    And Nick Drake... mmmm... You should read the book "A Long Way Down," by Nick Hornby. I think you'd like it a lot.

    By Blogger April, at 4:37 PM  

  • April,
    I've read "A Long Way Down" and I did love it...but not as much as "About A Boy."

    By Blogger redlaw, at 5:39 PM  

  • Dead Gilfriends club....uh...better not go there.

    By Blogger Abel Keogh, at 8:28 AM  

  • why not? i already shoved my foot in my mouth with you...and come on, that (mine) was the most inappropriate comment ever made...why hold back at this point?

    By Blogger redlaw, at 9:15 AM  

  • Love it. I'll take a Phil Hartman over Farley though. Then all four of us can hang out at the club, they can talk about old times. I'll totally call Phil's wife a bitch, and you'll snicker.

    In my Dead Boyfriends Club:
    Henry II (ok, I am just hot for the Plantagenets period, you can keep your Stuarts, Saxe-Cobertha whatever Windsors.)

    Ivan the Terrible (he was kind of awesome, guess you had to be there.)

    Peter Jennings. Like you even have to ask why. Ok, fine, the looks, the attention to detail, the voice, the extraordinary coverage and depth of international relations. Plus, he's Canadian, and that's hot.

    George Harrison. He's the quiet one.

    By Blogger Carina, at 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home