laugh out loud: Someone Else's Sins...For Once...

laugh out loud

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Someone Else's Sins...For Once...

Normally, this site is all about me and that's the way I like it.....I figure I make enough mistakes and chaos to keep this blog lively. But today, I am making an unprecedented move (seeing as there are only 5 posts on here, that's not saying a lot) and telling you about someone else's foibles.

I have this friend and I have raved about her before - Miss NYC. She is my partner in all crimes that have anything to do with spending money and looking fabulous. Miss NYC, some of you may recall, went to Paris with me back in November and is also moving out East with me this summer - we are out to conquer the East Coast. She and I met out in Cincinnati a few years ago and then hooked up for more fun out here (I'm using the term fun loosely there because I'm nost sure you can actually live in Utah and have fun...I think that breaks a law of physics or something).

Anyway, Miss NYC and I went up to Park City on Friday night for some shopping (Hello, Coach outlet, and Hello, my new purse!!!) and a movie. While eating dinner and basking in the afterglow of our purchases, Miss NYC looked over at me, and said, with a sheepish look, "So, are you ready to hear about my trauma?" I stared back at her in response. In the normal scheme of life, I am the one with trauma and Miss NYC is the one who listens and shakes her head at my antics, consoling me while thinking to herself, "Dude, Redlaw is SO going to Hell..." I didn't know what to do with this reversal of roles...life as I knew it came to a standstill and I was pretty certain that the Earth's rotation could be set askew with an abnormality like this....so I told Miss NYC to spill the trauma, feeling excited to know what could possibly be traumatic in an otherwise spotless life such as the one led by my perfect friend.

Miss NYC proceeded to tell me the following story:

Well, you know, I told my boss at work that I am moving to NYC and he decided to send an email to everyone in the company, just letting them know that I am leaving, that I'll be missed, etc. When he and I had originally talked about my plans in life, I had mentioned to him how I had been accepted to NYU for med school but had differed it for a year or so...


I need to take a moment here and explain that Miss NYC is not only a killer shopping companion, she's also a flipping genius....I kid not. She was accepted to some of the top medical schools without even applying just because that was how high her MCAT scores were. I also need to explain that Miss NYC has decided to forego med school for now and is actually going to NYC with a program called Teach For America - she will be teaching Biology in an inner-city charter school for the next 2 years. Okay, back to the story:

So my boss sends out this email after I left work the other day and I come in today [Friday] and everyone starts congratulating me on the upcoming move....but then people start congratulating me on my acceptance, and that's normal enough right? Until someone asks me, "So are you nervous to go to medical school? NYU is a good school...that's gonna be hard...." I realize that something is up...so I turn on my computer and see the email my boss sent everyone...apparently, we never clarified the fact that I'm not going to NYC for medical school and his email is all about congratulating me on leaving Utah and the company to go to med school at NYU...."

Now, I had already said my thank yous to a couple of people without realizing the mistake in my bosses email....so I totally decided to go along with it....the rest of the day, I didn't bother to correct anyone...I just let everyone think that indeed, I am moving to NYC for med school....I feel horrible but I didn't want to make my boss look stupid and I DID really get accepted to NYU and I know enough about the med school process to answer peoples' questions...


By this time, I am laughing pretty hard at Miss NYC. You see, this girl is seriously almost perfect. She never makes a bad decision and the idea of her stuck in a lie is, well, to a sinner like myself, HI-LAR-IOUS! But, it gets better.....

So then, the CEO of the company comes to congratulate me and then he makes an announcement about how we're all going to go out to a nice dinner or whatever, ON THE COMPANY TAB, to celebrate my acceptance, etc.....So now, there's this big dinner planned and it's all a sham and I am so going to Hell over this.....


I console Miss NYC the best I can by letting her know that it's okay because I'll be in Hell with her and that's always a bonus. But seriously, I tell her, if she thinks she's going to Hell over this, then I am in real trouble because this is small potatoes compared to some of the stunts I've pulled. In any case, I had to share this story with the entire internet because, really, who hasn't been in an awkward situation like this? You want to do the right thing but sometimes, it's kinda hard to figure out what the right thing to do would be...especially when free meals are involved, you know?

14 Comments:

  • LOL, tell her to enjoy the dinner!

    By Blogger Beth Blair, at 8:57 AM  

  • Awww, it ain't no thang. Just tell her to enjoy the free dinner and the kudos. She'll most likely never hear from those people again. :P

    By Blogger TOWR, at 11:56 AM  

  • I'm comfortable with the dinner, but how do you feel about gifts?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:28 PM  

  • Oh, are we receiving gifts now? Can you get a stethoscope out of this ordeal for me? Those things are way rad....

    By Blogger redlaw, at 2:38 PM  

  • That's such a Bridget Jones moment.

    But it's not like she told anyone she was leaving for med school. And she WILL be eventually.

    If people want to celebrate her success, then I think that's wonderful. She should just enjoy it.

    By Blogger April, at 4:00 PM  

  • I hear hell is lovely this time of year.

    By Blogger Abel Keogh, at 6:53 AM  

  • Abel, we'll assume you know that from personal experience....

    By Blogger redlaw, at 7:11 AM  

  • Yeah, maybe you can bring back souvenirs from your next visit.

    By Blogger April, at 1:10 PM  

  • Isn't it terrible about Chechnya?

    By Blogger Carina, at 10:26 PM  

  • Azucar...I'm so torn. I desperately want to laugh hysterically, assuming you're quoting Bridget Jones.

    But then, HAS something happened in Chechnya, and I'm just an ignorant American who doesn't watch the news?? *sigh*

    By Blogger April, at 12:48 PM  

  • Get your grannie undies out and laugh hysterically.

    By Blogger Carina, at 8:35 PM  

  • Oh, good. And I don't think my undies can get any grannier than they already are.

    By Blogger April, at 11:31 AM  

  • I'd love to see your new bag--can you post a picture/link? :)

    By Blogger N.F., at 7:43 AM  

  • Maybe they'll get El Nino to play at your going away party. That would rule.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home