laugh out loud: I'm Not Quite Dead Yet

laugh out loud

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I'm Not Quite Dead Yet

Okay, okay, I suck as a blogger, I know. Going almost 4 days without a post? What the hell? People need me! I can't just go off on a bloggie vacation just because of trauma and drama and fatigue in my own life, right? I mean, the nerve.

But for real, folks, I just keep getting hit with new realizations each day of how painfully unprepared I am to move across the country and stop having an income.... Between emails from J. Crew and Anthropologie, coveting a new Prada purse, wanting some bling from Tiffany's, and pretending to save money for the imminent move, i'm just really not sure this student-living-in-a-cardboard-box thing is really gonna work out, you know? I've become accustomed to living above the poverty line...I'm not so sure I can handle dipping below it again to feast on ramen noodles and tuna fish...yeckh!

Shallowness aside (and yeah, that's super-hard for me to stop being shallow for any amount of time), I have been a bit stressed lately and the move is the main source of said angst. Even though things are falling into place all around me, there's still a big bolt of nervousness in my stomach that I don't anticipate parting with until I either win the lottery that I never play, strike oil in my backyard (which is really gonna be a feat since I have no backyard), or make it safely out to Virginia and manage to have two cents left when I start classes. I know it will all work out but I do love to give myself ulcers and aneurysms worrying over things I cannot really control.

So here are the upsides to my life as it stands....

I am fashionable...yeah, so I can't ever buy another piece of clothing again until 20 years from now when all my loans are paid off....at least I have a great wardrobe now, right?

I have found a place to live in Williamsburg and it is everything I wanted. That's right. My soon-to-be-roommate, who I will refer to for now as Yale-waii, since she went to Yale and is from Hawaii, have found a place just blocks away from both the law school and Colonial Williamsburg. It fulfills my requirements by being old and having hardwood floors and it meets Yale-waii's standards by being cheap and close to campus (guess which one of us is the practical one). So I am very relieved and excited to actually have a place with my name on it.

I have found a [relatively] affordable way to move across the country and I get to take my current roommate KT along for the fun. KT graciously asked to come with me to Virginia since she has never been east of Denver and wants to see what the other side of the US has to offer. I'm all for having a friend along, though I am not sure she'll know what to do with the humidity that will inevitably greet us once we get there.

So, with a month exactly left before me here in Utah, I guess I have no choice but to start tying up the lose ends and getting ready to head out. And I have not forgotten my friends in Wisconsin - if you ladies are game, I still want to make a stop there on the way out to Cincy for the Wedding of the Century *gag* (no offense, younger sister #1).

5 Comments:

  • Oh don't worry about not posting until you are as much of a slouch as me. it was over a month till I updated.

    By Blogger Speak, at 6:26 AM  

  • Oh, Redlaw, four days is nothing! I can go for weeks without updating! LOL

    Yay for things falling into place! I'm sure your move will go smoothly and I can attest to the fabulousness of your wardrobe. I can't believe you can even bear to be seen with me! :)

    By Blogger TOWR, at 8:25 AM  

  • Just a warning, if you have a going away party, I might invite myself (because I am pushy and rude.)

    p.s. We cut our income in half when Other Half went back to school and *choke* it huuuurt, you will have my full sympathies.

    By Blogger Carina, at 9:09 PM  

  • Speak,
    Well, I guess I can't be too hard on myself - a month has me beat....I think I'd break out in hives if I went that long without telling the entire web all about my life...

    Rachel,
    Girl, I am proud to be seen out and about with you and don't you forget it!

    Azucar,
    Oh, there had better be parties and you had better be there!

    By Blogger redlaw, at 10:58 PM  

  • There aren't many places to party once you come to visit, but by that time you'll probably be needing a time-out for rest anyway, right?

    p.s. Isaac Hayden next week!!!!!!

    By Blogger April, at 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home