laugh out loud: No Worries...I'll Be In A Corner, Finding A Cure To Cancer...

laugh out loud

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

No Worries...I'll Be In A Corner, Finding A Cure To Cancer...

So I'm a little salty.....okay, a lot salty. I know I haven't been posting a lot lately...or at all, whatever. But I'm trying my damnedest to finish my interminable finals, which, of course, are harder this time than they have ever been - nothing says "Bye, thanks for getting your degree from us!" like having your ass handed to you by a set of exams. But that's not what makes me salty...because, yeah, right now sucks...but in a couple of days, I will be FREE! And I'll have a Masters!!!! Yea me!

Here's what makes me salty...and yeah, I know this is gonna sound petty but, for real people, when have I ever claimed to be anything but? So I'm getting this graduate degree, right? And I think that's a pretty effing big deal...maybe that's dumb of me. Apparently, it is if my family's reaction is any indication of things. Besides my dad congratulating me (thanks, Dad!) no one has said a word to me - nada. They have managed to send me an invite to my sister's wedding which is irritating because do I really need to receive an invitation to that disastrous occassion? I mean, duh, it's my sister. Even though I'd rather have a root canal without anesthesia rather than attend that excuse for long-lost relatives to remind me that my ovaries are rapidly turning to dust and my younger sister is far better than me in every way, I'll be there. So I can receive wedding invitations but I can't get a congrats on graduating to save my life. I half-think that if I were to keel over dead right this second, my mom's first reaction would be, "Well, that's one last person we have to feed at the reception..."

I mean, I get it....we have less than 2 months to the BIG DAY (i.e. - my day in Hell). I know my mom and sisters have gone into full frenzy last minute planning mode, complete with froth at the mouth....but I'm only going to get my Masters in Library Sciences once. I know it isn't a husband but, damn Gina, can't a girl get a flippin' phone call or a post card or something? And is this how it's gonna go forever? Is Younger Sister #1 going to spend the rest of our lives outdoing me? Like when I get my law degree, will she just happen to give birth that day? To the grandkids I can't produce? Sweet. I can hardly wait. I never liked that bitch much anyway...I knew she was trouble from the start. Kidding, kidding. I love my sister, I do. And I am incredibly proud of her and happy for her to marry this amazing man who has been a part of her life, and my family's life, for seven years now. But I just wish I didn't feel so ignored. What can I say? I'm good at whining.

5 Comments:

  • Whatever, that's not even whining. People should be buying you presents for graduating, especially since you were holding down like 6 full-time jobs and applying to law school at the same time!

    But yes, things (like single spinsters with black ovaries) tend to get lost in the wedding shuffle. It was the same stupid way for me when my sister got married.

    I think you are fabulous though!

    By Blogger Nemesis, at 8:01 AM  

  • A graduate degree is a big deal. Especially since I want one real bad. My brother is getting married in a couple months. Hopefully I will be un-asked to be a bridesmaid. Amen.

    By Blogger Carina, at 5:02 PM  

  • Nem,
    You make me blush...it wasn't quite 6 jobs but that sounds good. My dad said part of the problem is likely that I made it look too easy - I should have whines more about it along the way....I think this is the first time ever that I haven't whined enough about something.

    Money would have been nice but at this point, I just want a phone call...

    Azucar,
    I'm a maid of honor...I feel no honor whatsoever about this. for real, I just can't wait till it's over.

    By Blogger redlaw, at 6:24 AM  

  • Well, I'd like to say GREAT JOB on the Masters. Please know that someone in CA is SUPER jealous of your accomplishment.

    But, in a good way, of course. :)

    By Blogger N.F., at 8:42 PM  

  • Ahem.... CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your degree IS a big deal and I'm ever so proud of you! As for the marriage thing, I don't know if I've said this to you before or not, although I do know I've said it before: I think the reason those of us who go a little longer without getting married go a little longer without getting married is because not just anyone will do for us. We're more special than just your average dimbo (that's a ditzy bimbo) and your education and achievements certainly attest to that. Thanks for giving the spinsters a good name, and congratulations again on such a fantastic achievement!!!

    By Blogger TOWR, at 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home