laugh out loud: One Of The Harder Goodbyes

laugh out loud

Thursday, June 22, 2006

One Of The Harder Goodbyes

With the countdown to my departure in full swing, it comes time for me to start thinking about saying my goodbyes....and sadly, I am saying one of those goodbyes much sooner than I'd like. You may have noticed the mention of a good friend of mine, Miss NYC, on the blog several times. If you haven't, she's my friend who is moving to NYC (hence the name) to teach in an inner-city junior high for a couple of years. Miss NYC leaves in a few days and so the time has come to say goodbye.

This isn't the first time we've said goodbyes, uncertain of when we'd meet again. I met Miss NYC in Cincinnati and said goodbye to her there, not knowing that only a year and a half later, we would bump into each other completely randomly out here in SLC. At least this time, we know we will be visiting each other, starting with a weekend trip I'll be making to the Big Apple in September and including spring-time plans to rent a beach house at Myrtle Beach. We may be nerds, but we are nerds who know how to live it up and you can't ask for much more than that.

Miss NYC, I don't know if you're still getting the chance to read this blog. I know you're busy and I'm glad you were willing to take the night off to chill with me, even if I did have to drive to scary, mall-less Ogden to do so...I'll even do it again tomorrow night, partially because you and I are safer in a town with no malls, don't you think? If you are still reading, please know that I have had a blast spending time and money with you. There's no one else I'd rather be shallow with and at the same time, I can't think of a better person to catch a game with. Thanks for understanding, hands down, why I get misty-eyed and goose-bumpy at a movie like Glory Road and for knowing without question what makes a baseball game so much fun or a college hoops game so life-or-death. Thank you for indulging and encouraging my spendy ways, though my bank account now hates you...and thanks for giving me something to strive for - the Prada competition is alive and well, no matter how far away you are.

Most of all, thanks for being a friend. Moreso than shopping or sports-watching with you, I have enjoyed the talks we've shared along the way. (Can you imagine that? I liked the conversations more than the purchases - that's almost blasphemy, huh?) You have been a great friend to me and though I will miss you dearly, I wish you nothing but success and happiness in New York...and I'm way excited to come visit too!

So here's to your new start - I'll join you in that endeavor shortly!

4 Comments:

  • BYE BYE BYE!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:22 AM  

  • Your blog title immediately brought Boys II Men to mind... "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye."

    It won't be long before you two are out splurging your rent money again. :)

    By Blogger April, at 9:16 AM  

  • *sniff* This is not goodbye-it's see ya later in September!

    Thanks to you for playing hookey to shop, and spending hours at Sky box watching games, and exploring all the so-called malls in Utah w/ me.

    I love ya man!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:27 AM  

  • miss nyc,
    you're right - this isn't goodbye - it's just c ya later. but still, i miss your guts already...

    By Blogger redlaw, at 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home