laugh out loud: Ow...Ouch...OUCH!!!

laugh out loud

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Ow...Ouch...OUCH!!!

Redlaw is a really fitting name for me now, and not in the way that you might expect. I am currently a bright shade of flourescent pink rather than being my normal white self. Why? Because I thought it would be positively brilliant to go to Bear Lake today and lay out for 3 hours without any sunscreen. Why is this brilliant? Because my mother has been nagging me for the last couple of months to get a tan or something so that I would match the rest of the wedding party for Younger sister #1's ceremony.

See, while I have embraced my whiteness and, in fact, adore the fact that you can't see me if I stand in front of a white wall, my mom and sisters have taken a different route to self-acceptance...they have baked themselves into looking like Africans. Normally, I don't care that they are all 20 shades darker than any known member of the extended family but now I do because if I have to listen to my mom bitch about my looks or my haircolor or really anything at all again, I am going to shove a fork in my ear, in hopes of rupturing the eardrum and finally finding some peace and quiet.

But rather than give up my already failing hearing, I decided to go ahead and give myself skin cancer and wrinkles because I'd rather deal with those problems than deal with my mom's incessant nagging. I do tan....it's just a very painful process that involves a good burning first. Since I am petrified of tanning beds ever since that sorority ordeal in college (I'm scared I'm going to get locked in a bed), the only real way for me to tan is to actually go out in the daytime, something I usually avoid at all costs. And now I remember why. I am burnt to a crisp. And it hurts and I'm tired.

However, aside from carrying out my mother's plot to kill me in my youth, I did have a wonderful time today at Bear Lake - my roomie KT, one of her friends, and I enjoyed ourselves immensely which is not hard to do when you're surrounded by scenic nature and good friends. Bear Lake itself is a stunning place to go and the ride out is pretty easy on the eyes as well - here's some pics to prove it:


This is a shot of the canyon we drove through to get to Bear Lake.

My roomie as seen by the rear-view mirror.

No group of photos is complete without a shot of at least one of my feet....

Coming down the canyon towards what else? Bear Lake!

Bear Lake from the road...

and again.

6 Comments:

  • I feel your pain. Literally. Even if it is only over 10% of my body instead of 90. :)

    By Blogger TOWR, at 8:50 AM  

  • Me too. I forgot to suncreen my decolletage and nape of neck, and played 9 holes Friday. It was a blast, but now my lobster skin is paying the price.


    Ouch, ouch.

    By Blogger Carina, at 1:48 PM  

  • girls,
    ow, i am in so much pain - it hurts to move...at all. i have been living on the couch for the past 17 hours...

    why? why did i do this to myself?

    By Blogger redlaw, at 3:33 PM  

  • I hope your getting all aloe vera-ed up and have some Solarcaine gel stuff. That stuff's the bomb. So is a baking soda bath.

    Yeah, I vow to never get burned (especially of my own will) ever again. Talk about being miserable. Hopefully it'll turn into a spectacular tan, and you won't peel!

    By Blogger i i eee, at 11:20 AM  

  • Meta,
    Yeah, the aloe is out in full force - as is the Solarcaine - that stuff DOES rock! I haven't tried a baking soda bath yet...guess we all know what I will be doing tonight....

    By Blogger redlaw, at 11:58 AM  

  • Oh, Redlaw. Red, red, Redlaw. *sigh*

    I hope your pain eases soon. I know how awful a sunburn is.

    By Blogger April, at 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home