laugh out loud: Roommates I Won't Sleep With....

laugh out loud

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Roommates I Won't Sleep With....

After all the "fun" I've had living with roommates out here, I vowed that I would not be taking a roommate in Virginia. In fact, I went so far as to say that the only roommate I would be living with in the future would be my husband and even then, I was going to have to think long and hard about allowing us to share a house. Seems to me that there's a lot of good to be had in keeping separate houses while married but that's a topic for another post.

Anyway, I was resolute that I would live on my own once again. I'm too damn old to be sharing my space with others especially if I'm not getting any action in return, right? Well, no. Wrong. Turns out that unless I want to take out student loans just for housing, I am going to have to find a roommate to split the cost of rent. Living in Williamsburg is not cheap - who knew? I mean, sure, it's a cute city, a nice touristy place but it also costs an arm and a leg to live in that sleepy little town. Since I am already giving an arm and a leg to the law school, and I am not fond of the idea of being a financial parapelegic, I've started to consider the idea of a roommate, though it hurts my heart to do so.

Luckily, I may have found the world's coolest roomie. I have found a girl who is about my age (maybe even a year older than me!!!) that graduated from yale and hails from Hawaii. This is a good combo on a number of levels. First off, she's got the drive to succeed - most kids that graduate from a place like Yale are pretty ambitious and she's no exception. But she's also got that laid-back surfer vibe that you get from people that grow up on islands. I call this the KT vibe, in honor of my current roommate, KT (otherwise known as Laid-Back Poly Lover). I like the KT vibe because it is very soothing and balances out my uptight, stressed Redlaw vibe which normally kills everything in its path but can be turned off in an instant by listening to mellow guitar chords and eating mangos, as KT has demonstrated numerous occasions in our time together as roommies.

I talked to Potential Supercool Roommate on Sunday for 2 hours over the phone. Now, for those of you who don't know how big that is, let me explain. I don't like phones. I don't like talking on them AT ALL. I will weasel my way out of phone conversations all the time. Two hours on a phone is like torture to me....forget pulling my toenails off - just make me sit on a phone for more than a half-hour and I will tell you whatever you want to know - hell, I'll confess things I didn't even do just to get out of that. But for 2 hours on Sunday, I enjoyed talking to this girl across the country. I didn't even realize how much time had passed. Amazing. I think I may have just found a person I can stand to live with for a year or so.

So wish me luck....or maybe, wish Potential Roomate luck. Because it looks like I just found someone crazy enough to want to share a place with me without marrying me...heaven help us all....

6 Comments:

  • Well. I am VERY excited about this development. You will have so much fun! I'm glad you're going to live with someone cool--it just makes life better.

    By Blogger Nemesis, at 12:55 PM  

  • I hope it works out for you! Or that you can at least tolerate each other living in close quarters. And I get to visit sometime, right?

    By Blogger April, at 3:13 PM  

  • From the title of this post I was expecting so much more.

    By Blogger Abel Keogh, at 6:40 AM  

  • Nem,
    I am stoked as well...now if only the two of us could find a cool place, ASAP. She's looking at places this weekend - let's hope something pans out...

    April,
    Of course you are visiting!!! And I hope it works too...otherwise, that's one miserable year of law school....

    Abel,
    Stop letting your mind live in thre gutter...good grief. Have some morals...who the hell am I kidding?

    By Blogger redlaw, at 8:21 AM  

  • You know my position on roommates, but I'm happy that this one seems so promising! Maybe you can score a free trip to Hawaii?!

    By Blogger TOWR, at 12:34 PM  

  • The other half and I have always said that one of the best advantages of being married is no more roommates ever.

    If you didn't do it, the other person did, and that's just the end of it. Groceries, everything is already supposed to be communal, so there's none of that nonsense either.
    I hope this chickie works out.

    By Blogger Carina, at 9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home