laugh out loud: You Can Quote Me On That

laugh out loud

Monday, July 03, 2006

You Can Quote Me On That

I am in the midst of enjoying a fabulous 4 day weekend, and the best part is, my dad drove up Saturday night to hang out with me. His drive up inspired the following quote from me:

Once you get out of Salt Lake and Provo, Utah is like Children of the Corn. For real. I mean, do you want to end up with a broken down car along I-15 out in that abandoned territory? You'd probably get kidnapped by carnivorous polygamists and if they didn't serve you as dinner, they'd make you wear those long skirts and ugly clothes - I'd rather be dinner, myself....



And it's true. This state freaks me out. Frankly, I'm surprised there's as much civilzation here as there is. But in spite of that, my dad ended up here safely and none of us had to worry about being forced to wear suspenders or look in any way amish (Thank you, God!).

On that note, have a happy Fourth of July and watch out for amish-looking people running around in the desert - cuz I promise you, they aren't amish and they're eyeing you to decide if you'd make a nice dinner for their family of 25!

9 Comments:

  • That perspective is interesting. I will say that I've never lived anywhere else in Utah except Provo. I have, however, lived in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Spain. The other half was born in Pennsylvania and was raised in Florida. Even having lived other places, neither of us want to leave. He wants to leave less than I do. I think it would be nice to leave for a few years and then come back. He'd prefer to stay for good.

    I think it really depends on which area you live in. I happen to be in a part of the state/county where there were people making anti-Bush jokes AT CHURCH yesterday. I think the proximity to the university elevates the general discourse and affords the community an access to education, arts, cultural events, and 'enlightened' professionals. Most of the kids I grew up with had parents who were professors, or in some way affiliated with the University. I honestly think Provo is different from other places in Utah County. I lived in Orem once, and I'd rather move to BFE North Dakota than do that again. I wouldn't live in Lehi, Springville, etc.

    Basically, if I'm living in Utah I'm living in Provo, or SLC.

    People who come to Provo for school have no idea what the place is really like for those of us that live here. The people are amazingly diverse, educated and intelligent. I have not found their equal in traversing the globe. Just in my neighborhood we have two families from Africa, Japanese and Korean immigrants, not to mention (holla) mis amigos from latin countries.
    So, I'll just slip on my new Anthropologie skirt with matching top, into my NEW Madden Pawlas and go on a hunt for those polygamists that I've heard so much about.

    By Blogger Carina, at 10:25 AM  

  • Do you want to borrow my "Zombie Survial Guide Book?"

    By Blogger April, at 10:32 AM  

  • The last time I saw any polygamists was years ago. And mostly, it just made me feel sad. Not scared.

    They're like spiders...they're more scared of you than you are of them. ;)

    By Blogger i i eee, at 12:03 PM  

  • The first time I saw any polygamists in person was at the Benihana in downtown SLC about six years ago.

    By Blogger Carina, at 12:13 PM  

  • Utah is a bustling metrolopolis compared to Idaho, Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming! And Montana even has those freaky militia men! And those polygamist skirts are unforunate...

    By Blogger TOWR, at 12:20 PM  

  • Is it Montana or Michigan where a blind man can go hunting by himself?

    By Blogger i i eee, at 1:33 PM  

  • hey everyone,
    sorry, i didn't mean to sound so much like i was bashing Utah - i would say the same thing about Montana, etc - any state with a lot of wide, open spaces kinda makes me nervous.

    and the polygamists - well, i know they don't really eat other people (right????) but they still kinda freak me out, all the same.

    By Blogger redlaw, at 1:55 PM  

  • It did seem to be like your usual Utah bashing. But no worries! I like living here in Utah. I too, wouldn't live here if I didn't want to.

    By Blogger i i eee, at 5:08 PM  

  • It's their bangs and french braids.


    And the pinafores.

    Oh the humanity!

    By Blogger Carina, at 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home